Home Wet Bar

Entertaining Gifts

May 18, 2015

MXMO ~ MANHATTAN



Yes, more flowers!

For the last two weeks Toronto has been obsessed with cherry blossoms. There is a beautiful bloom in High Park every year, from a donation of trees the city received from Japan fifty years ago. It's called Sukura Hanami  and it clearly isn't new but there has been a palpable desperation for outdoor activity after the particularly long winter. Thousands of residents and tourists hit the park this year to view the blossoms and they were spectacular.






I too have been caught up in it. As my interest in gardening has grown, I've become hyper aware of all the gardens around me. I've realized you don't have to be in High park to see the blossoms, they are in yards and other parks all over the city. Lucky for me, because you're really not supposed to take blossoms from the trees in High Park. A neighbor took pity on me after I explained my odd but very serious need for a small cluster.

Don't worry, you won't need them to make the drink, I just couldn't bear the thought of not getting some for the garnish on my Cherry Manhattan. After mixing Japanese whisky with cherry liqueur and bitters, it only seemed right to catch the beauty of the season by adding the cherry blossom garnish. I think the theme and motivation for the combination of Japanese whiskey with the Cherry are fairly obvious. The Maraschino and dry vermouth are more closely related with the Brooklyn cocktail but I kept a portion of the sweet vermouth to bring it back to Manhattan. The subtle smoke of the whisky matches beautifully with the cherry. If you want to make this without having any Japanese whisky, stick with a light smoke and citrus style.  



Sakura 
1 1/2 oz  The Hakushu 12 yr
1/2 oz sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
3 drops Cherry bitters (Fee Brother's)


Method
Add all ingredients to a mixing glass 3/4 filled with cracked ice. Stir to chill, strain into chilled glass. Optional to strain over ice. 





















    Always fun to participate in MxMo.  

Thank you so much to our leader for hosting. That Virgin Slut keeps it all going. Here's the roundup of what everyone created.

1 comment:

  1. How elegant! Thank you for playing along this month for MxMo!

    ReplyDelete